Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Qs and As


Workshop help~

I have looked over the emails, comments, and my own initial concerns at the beginning of an online class and I have pulled together some quick and simple answers.  Ready?

Sketching?  Yes, this is a sketchy little class!  Every project begins with loads of fun, silly, inspiration building sketching. It is not as hard as you think and I will be with you!  If you already love to sketch...oh, yes...you will love it even more!  




Can I use my mixed medium stuff? (meaning: paper, stamps, paints, inks). Yes!  I made sure to mix up the projects each week.  There are simple watercolor projects and there are messy paper-piecing and acrylic paint projects, too.  None of the projects are complicated. You are welcome to change up any of the projects detailed...go for it!


I do love to mix it up when teaching, and what better class for that than one named....WILD!

(owl art -- using watercolor and acrylic papers)

What are the differences in watercolor paper and acrylic paper?  
Watercolor paper is made for holding water & pigment.  The watercolor paper I love has just the right texture for holding paint and is smooth for sketching (140lb. hot pressed paper).  The main problem with this paper is it will start to come apart with too much water. You can purchase an inexpensive pad to try first -- notice the texture of the paper, it is either smooth or bumpy for a more textured look.

Acrylic paper is typically heavier.  It is a bit textured and covered with a gesso finish.  I love it for its versatility, you can watercolor on this paper, load it with paint, decoupage and ephemera and it doesn't fall apart.  Brilliant!

What is a rigger?  Of all the watercolor brushes I use, this is not my favorite! lol!  I love squatty heads on my brushes, they are easier for my fingers to manipulate.  The rigger brush is made for detail work, it is long, thin, and makes pretty details and gorgeous lines, it just takes practice to use.  This is a sample of using a rigger to add color, see the thin lines of color on top of color?


Pens?  
The white pen I use is a sharpie fine point poster pen.  I had to order mine online from Amazon (but I live in the hills, so I order everything online!).  You can try an office supply or Target store, too.  Some artists use a correction pen for adding white detail, you are welcome to try one of those.

For those living outside the US (kisses to my sweet friend Joan -- xo!), the detail pen I use for mixed medium projects is a really unique pen that doesn't get gummed up with paint and glue.  It looks like this: black pen. I have had great luck with Sharpie pens, as long as they are not too thick.  You may need to purchase a few pens to try?

Art journal & sketch books?
I will post on those next...I have some ideas if you need help~

My week is loaded with sheep, paint and fresh spring snows,
How are you doing this week in messy March?

love & lambs,
jj




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...